This early version of Marathon was first shown at the San Francisco Macworld Expo in January 1994. Faster and more elegant than its predecessor, the game did not make a large impact at the time as many people perceived it as an enhanced version of Pathways Into Darkness.
Following the Macworld showing, Bungie overhauled the game, which included a from-the-ground-up rewrite of its rendering engine. In its final public release, Marathon bore little resemblance to its early appearance.
Various stages of the so-called Marathon Zero were included with the Marathon Trilogy Box Set.
Features (and differences from Marathon)Edit
- Eight levels (two playable)
- Compass included in UI
- Unnamed spider-like monster, not seen in future versions
- TOOL Mark IV Pistol (20 shots)
- SPNKR-25 Auto Cannon (30 shots)
- "Vac Suit" worn by the player
- Horizontally-opening doors
- "Grendel Lives" graffiti in tile graphics
- An early joke title for Marathon that was reportedly kicked around the Bungie offices was "Pathways Into Uranus."